- This event has passed.
International Lameness Prevention Conference
September 21, 2017 @ 8:30 am - September 23, 2017 @ 4:00 pm$399 – $499
September 21, 2017 (Check-In open at 8:30 – Conference Runs from 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM)
September 22 & 23 2017 (All Day 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM )
Lunch Will Be Provided Each Day by the E.L.P.O.
List of Presentation (More Topics May Be Added)
- “Managing sole mass in relation to hoof distortions” (Stuart Muir)
For this lecture, the concept is based around how the hoof can be affected by vertical force and trimming strategies that can be employed.
- “Direct and indirect glueing strategies” (Stuart Muir)
This lecture identifies safe glueing protocol in relation to various foot types and how to navigate around them. I have demo videos that show different applications and various options/case studies.
- “Foal foot care” (Stuart Muir)
In this lecture I discuss conformation, and the affect Farrier’s can have on the lower limb. The lecture also covers corrective applications and management. It’s fairly comprehensive and addresses many topics that affect mature horses.
- “Dysfunction Leading to Lameness” (Dr. Kirstin Becker)
- “Suddenly Lame? – Shoulder Sling Weakness as a possible cause for many musculoskeletal dysfunctions” (Dr. Kirstin Becker)
- “The Important of Grading Distortions” (Jake Anderson, CLS)
- “Hoof Distortion: What’s Moving?” (Paige Poss)
- “Dissection – Explore Differences at the Back of the Foot” (Paige Poss)
- “Gluing Results with Wet Feet” (Matthew Staples)
- “Effective Hoof Crack Repair (Lecture & Demo)” (Chris Niclas, CLS)
- “Negative Plane or Whole Horse Syndrome. – Do we treat a symptom or the causes, which may be multiples?” (David Nicholls, CLS)
- “Supporting the limb or diverting the load?” (David Nicholls. CLS)
- “Rehabilitating the Chronically Laminitic Foot Using Composite Materials” (Daisy Bicking, CLS)
- “Support, Protection & Leverage” (Steve Foxworth, CLS)
- “No Back, No Farrier” (Dr. Katie Curry)
- “Biomechanics Overview with Dolly [Pony Skeleton]” (Mike Stine, CNBF)
- “Trimming Donkeys & Mules” (Ross Keller, CFGP)
- Gene Ovnicek lecture titles TBD
Hoof Mapping Challenge
This year during the International Lameness Prevention Conference in Myrtle Beach, we will once again be hosting the “Hoof Mapping Challenge”. This event is open to all attendees with prizes given to the top 3 finishers. A portion of the funds raised will go to the E.L.P.O. Research & Education Fund. We look forward to your participation in this fun and entertaining event!
When: Friday, September 22, 2017 – 4:00 PM
Where: International Lameness Prevention Conference – Main Ballroom
Who: Open to Anyone (Limited to 20)
Prizes: 50% E.L.P.O. & 50% Split the POT – Cash Award for Top 3 Finishers (60%, 30%, 10% of the Pot)
A – Each person will receive 1 limb chosen randomly
B – Each person will have access to a JH Forge Hoof Knife, JH Dividers & Latex gloves
C – Each person will have 15 minutes to evaluate (number distortions), exfoliate their foot and map it out.
(Full Details to Follow)
~ Final Marks Need to Be Clearly Identified for:
1. Dimple in the back of the frog (central sulcus) & apex of central sulcus
2. Widest Part of the Foot (with clear marks on the outside of the wall)
3. Apex or Tip of the Distal Phalanx
4. Breakover Line
D – At the end of 15 minutes, each foot will be evaluated by 3 judges separately and scored according to accuracy of:
- Hoof Distortion Evaluation Numbers (frog, bars, heels, toe)
- The Dimple & Central Sulcus Apex
- The Widest Part of the Foot
- The Apex/Tip of the Distal Phalanx
E – Scoring will be done by 3 Judges based on the following criteria:
10 Points for Hoof Distortion Evaluation Accuracy
20 Points for Exfoliation
20 Points for Hoof Mapping
50 Points Possible from Each Judge – Top 3 High Points Place
To Register for the Hoof Mapping Challenge
– Visit: https://elpo.memberclicks.net/index.php?option=com_mc&view=mc&mcid=form_152524
– Download and Complete the Print Registration Form and bring a Check/Cash with you and turn it during the conference
check-in (Download Link: Hoof Mapping Challenge Registration )